Getting the hang of it- Week 5
Hello I'm here again,
This time I came to share my reflection of week 5. This week in my opinion has been the best of all because I managed to plan myself better to do everything on time but not too rushed.
Throughout the week I learnt a lot and did a lot of work. To begin with I read different articles about rubric and project-based learning in which I learnt about a new way to assign projects to my students were they can fell like they are in control. Also, I read in more details about rubrics and why they are so useful. While reading the information about rubrics there was a lot of facts that I found interesting, as this helps the students to know what is expected from them and what the final result should look like.
Also, I got the chance to create my own rubric, which was really helpful because I have my own evaluation grid for my conversation class but it isn't as detailed as the rubric I made. As the one I made explains step by step why they would lose point and how to get a perfect score.
Later, I created my own webquest for an animal presentation. To be honest at the beginning I was doing it because I needed the extra points as some of the tasks from the week before I didn't do them, but then I actually started to enjoy myself while doing it. I believe it is a very effective tool to guide our students throughout a process so they know what is expected from them.
Finally I researched different websites that I could use to tackle my main problem in the classroom that is to find a way for my students to practice their English outside the classroom. I looked for different websites where they have the opportunity to interact with other students that want to improve their English or native speakers that want to help others improve their English.
Well that's all for today.
Regards,
Gledis Libert
Dominican Republic
Hello Gledis,
ReplyDeleteIndeed this week is another contribution in our journey of this amazing course! Well it is good to know that you have been successful in managing your time. In fact, it’s so hard, may be impossible, to finish all the tasks at one session. The PBL is a very good substitute for assessing the students’ performance. Actually, the regular tests might not be sufficient to pinpoint the strong points in our students.
I think you have touched upon one of the most significant points concerning rubric in the sense that they guide both the teachers and the students to follow the path that they are using or should be using. Unfortunately, I did not have enough time for creating my Webquest. I can tell that you have had found it interesting experience. However, I would give it a try next week even If I am not getting extra grade for it.
I am so happy for you that you have found good websites for your students to practice their English with native speakers outside their classes. I wonder if you could share them here or on Delicious so that I can check them out!
Wish you all the best.
Majid